It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:47 am
Change font size

'92 Corrado Build .... (DONE :)) )

Insert project here

'92 Corrado Build .... (DONE :)) )

Postby AKS4 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:42 pm

What the hell, I'll start a build thread over here for everyone, and have THE FIRST build thread on MSAK.

I guess to preface, its not really as much a "build thread" as it is a "rebuild" thread. In addition to that, this is my first foray into actual engine rebuilding, so I will be taking my sweet ass time, organizing all the bits and pieces in ziplocks and thinking things through before going full bore. In other words, it'll be a long process but hoping to be complete by Fall Tanacross. This should be fun :) soooo, here we go.

For those that are unaware, my Corrado decided to pee itself on the way into town one wintery morning a couple years back. Around the weigh station an alarm went off and after a quick scan of gauges, I saw the oil pressure gauge hitting zero, with oil temp following suite. "Houston we have a problem"! After coasting over 3 lanes of traffic and stopping on the shoulder, I get out and see oil splatter all along the passenger (belt side) of the engine. TimmyG happened to be heading to work and stopped to take a look and help asses, we thought possibly a seal, or a hose around the oil filter housing, or the oil pan itself. (I later found out the main culprit was a small freeze plug blowing out) Anyway, I basically needed to get to a shop. So with not knowing the exact problem and wanting it close to home in case I decided to tear into myself (which I am now doing), I had it towed back out to Edmonds. (Thank you Darin @ MTR) After some investigative work Edmonds came to the conclusion the engine was toasted. The engine/crank still turned, but was slightly difficult and made a horrendous noise. My guess would be that it might need new bearings, perhaps rings as well and the crank re-turned. I decided it best to rebuild it on my own than have them rebuild or install a block with unknown history. I have yet to dig that far yet, however the head/cams/etc look fine.

Anyway, I managed to put the car up on some wheels skates, and begin tearing off the front of the car (lights, grill, wiring, draining and disconnecting radiator and fans) spun it around facing the other direction in the garage and then disconnected the throttle cable, airbox/air intake system, heater core hoses, coolant reservoir connection, main ground wire to block, starter cables, and some other stuff. (battery and the like already out of the car)
Here are some pics... and hopefully I'll be updating with pictures and what not along the way, and hopefully not tooooo long between updates.
Oil residue from the blow out.
Overall shot after removing lights
Completed job for the night/weekend
Last edited by AKS4 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'01.5 Audi S4
'92 Corrado SLC
AKS4

Topic author

Re: '92 Corrado Build .... (it'll take some time)

Postby AKS4 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:43 pm

Thanks to a friend who likes pie, but isnt sure why, who some say is a pnut. I was referred to a sales posting on craigslist for some lifeblood for the Corrado. The gentleman had already torn down a VR6 and more or less built the bottom end with the MJM block rebuild kit. Basically the same kit I was going to use. In addition he had a head that was worked over, a couple intake manifolds, spare block, etc... etc... etc.. I figured for his price I was basically paying to have him install the MJM block rebuild kit. After conversing and taking a gander with Lee, a decision was made and I now have these goodies in the garage.

Built Block

Head

Assorted boxes of goodies that include wiring harness, injectors, ECU, valves throttle bodies, etc.
'01.5 Audi S4
'92 Corrado SLC
AKS4

Topic author

Postby AKS4 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:46 pm

With the end of year projects and monies, it had helped quite a bit and I got some much needed parts for the Corrado.

Complete VR6 Timing Chain Kit w/ chain guides, tensioners, etc.. and a complete VR6 head re-gasketing kit. Also remembered I have a new radiator fan to install. w00t!

Schwaben 100 piece specialty bit set (torx, triple square, security bits, yada yada... on sale at ECS)

Schwaben Long reach triple sqaures for head bolts, drife shafts, etc.

Which of course helped relit the fire in the project and I began getting my hands dirty.

I was pretty much at the point of disconnecting the driveshafts, the shift linkages and should be ready to yank the motor&tranny out.
'01.5 Audi S4
'92 Corrado SLC
AKS4

Topic author

Postby AKS4 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:49 pm

In mid February, I made some progress. Friday evening I was in the garage till around midnight, making sure everything was disconnected, such as power steering lines, half shafts, motor mounts, etc. Needless to say pictures of progress would look no diferent than the last batch.

After That weekends Ice Racing, I decided to be a home body and dig even further into the Corrado. Ted, Trock here, dropped by for a while as well, and I was much appreciative of the help as we wrestled the engine and tranny.

Anyway, pics to tell the story.
Beginning of day

Hooking up the Engine hoist

Engine and Transmission dangling on the hoist

Engine Mounted on the stand, Tranny on the floor.

WOOOOOOT!!! Its out!!

Did some Garage organizing and some additional dismantling later this evening.

The Cams and chains look damn clean for the amount of miles I had on the car and engine.
'01.5 Audi S4
'92 Corrado SLC
AKS4

Topic author

Postby AKS4 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:51 pm

About 2 weeks later, I dismantled the Head, inspected it and took it to have it cleaned. This way I can see if I need to purchase new valves, rockers, etc. From looking at the pictures and talking with my parts washer, it looks like I might of also had a failing head gasket.

Anyway... on to the important bits... PICS

Chain cover off

Head off and on the bench

Head disassembled with cams & buckets laying in the background.

Pics of the block side. Notice the milky brown between the cylinders? Yeah, evidence of head gasket failure? Check out the buildup on the pistons.. WTF

So fresh, so clean
Last edited by AKS4 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'01.5 Audi S4
'92 Corrado SLC
AKS4

Topic author

Postby AKS4 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:59 pm

The last bit of progress I made on the Corrado, was due in part to seeing the VW contingent at Tanacross, Which kicked me into being more motivated to get the thing 1) running and back on the road and 2) caged and racing.

Anyway, my original plan was to get the old motor COMPLETELY torn down, parts cleaned by my parts washer guy, and then build the new block using the cleaned pieces as needed. While having a ready to go block for building a big turbo or SC block or something. While I was tearing off the power steering pump, I noticed the majority of the oil spatter was behind and near that area. I got to thinking.... the PS system has NOTHING to do with engine oil, and the oil filter housing is half way down the block.... Hmmmm.... so after looking around in that area of the block I come to a loss, then notice THIS:

Odd, I dont recall removing anything from that area as its above the main crank pully... So lets check the new engine

DING.... Light bulb! looks like I lost a freeze plug. Dammit!! Oh well, at least I now know what happened.

After finding that and having taken soo much time thus far, I decided to just scavenge what I needed off the old engine like AC condenser, PS Pump, sensors, etc... and deal with the old block later. So I finished removing all the brackets and bits I needed and shoved the old block in the corner. "Bad Engine!"

In doing so I now have a tub-o-parts which I took to my parts washer and had cleaned up. (these are pre-cleaned up, but none-the-less, tis a tub-o-parts)

ALL of this meant of course, that I can move on to Level 2, phase 2 or whatever you want to call it. Basically, I could now mount the new engine onto the engine stand and start the buildup of the new heart.
WOOOHOOO!!

(it may LOOK fully assembled there, but in reality the head is just resting on the block to keep the inards cleaner than if left exposed. Plus its missinge cams/valves/etc)

Although looking at the head from the donor engine I think my cleaned head is a better candidate, but will first go through the bottom end and ensure the previous owner torqued down the bolts correctly. then will work on which head I want to use as a base for the new cams and stuff. I also will need to borrow a fellow Vdubbers special tool for removing the flywheel, as the donor engine was mated to a slushbox tranny :(

Anyway... progress is moving, however so slowly. And hopefully posting it over here will help ignite that fire again.

I'd probably be further along but parents came for a visit and I wound up building this:

Should I make a "build thread" for it? hehehehe...
'01.5 Audi S4
'92 Corrado SLC
AKS4

Topic author

Re: '92 Corrado Build .... (might be a while)

Postby TargeT » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:19 pm

Looks like you've been busy, that's a hell of a lot of progress from when I last saw it.
TargeT

: PWN-Star

Postby Crash » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:16 pm

Glad to see you finally working on it Ben, always been a fan of the VR6 Corrado, I want a ride when you're done!
Crash

: HNIC

Postby AKS4 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:26 pm

Yeah, I've made a bit of progress since last time you saw it. Will have to come out and chill one of these days. Speaking of, in a few weeks I should be having a deck warming shindig. "stay tuned"

Chris, for shizzle I'll give ya a ride in it when done. Hoping to slap in the 272/268 cams I got for it.
'01.5 Audi S4
'92 Corrado SLC
AKS4

Topic author

Postby Turbo » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:52 pm

Nice Ben! Doin' some work!
2001 Silverado 6.0T
Turbo

Postby CrashingTiger » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:41 am

Looks awesome man. I love seeing shit come together. I'd love to help out if you ever need it. Don't forget to bolt your wheels on when you're done. lol.
2007 Chevy 2500HD - Hauler of stuff, puller of cars.
2000 Corvette FRC - Stock and faster than a GT-R!
1988 Mazda RX7 - IT class road and ice racer!
CrashingTiger

: Fast Driver

Postby AKS4 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:57 am

CrashingTiger wrote:Don't forget to bolt your wheels on when you're done. lol.

LOL!! don't think that'll work on the twisties?

And for sure, I'll keep peeps informed on when I might have an "install/work on car night" as it's always good to have an extra pair of hands, eyes... or brain.
'01.5 Audi S4
'92 Corrado SLC
AKS4

Topic author

Postby MuNkY » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:56 am

lookin good! always loved the corrados!
MuNkY

Postby Tank the great » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:02 pm

im down for a build night, not much knowledge here, but im always down to work and learn.
1987 Mazda Rx-7 "Vivian" my weekend warrior begging for a cage. #619
2004 Mazda Rx-8 "Susan" bad luck magnet. hopfully getting a sexy make over.
2003 Mitsu Lancer O.Z. rally eddition "Valentine" Wife and kid mover
Tank the great

Postby AKS4 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:18 am

Well, with the happenings this weekend I needed to do something to get my mind off of wanting to hurt someone. And of course sitting around being mopey only served to make me more agitated. So Shelly's daughter and SIL came over for dinner and I decided to work on the corrado a bit more with the aide of the SIL.

Anyway, I forgot to post this a while back, but a couple goodie boxes came in within the last few months, and I think I should now REALLY have everything. (of course we will never always have "everything" we need when working on our projects right?)
I had received the valve guides to begin assembling the other head I have, and after looking at them both heads, the purchased one looks newer with a larger oil flow between the timing chain and cams. I also now have the cam adjustment/installation tool. In the package from a couple months ago I also received the complete front end refresh kit so I can work on ... refreshing the front end. Oh, and of course the power steering hose I picked up from FATS, whom had it for ~10 years apparently. 
Anyway, after installing the valve guides there was an issue of the valves not inserting properly, so I had to order up a 7mm Valve Guide Reamer (which isnt pictured). With the new reamer this weekend I was able to clearance the valve guides, install the new valve guide seals, the valves, NEW dual valve springs and the the spring caps.

And of course that got me to the point where I could install THESE finally
TT 266 cams.

I got it all buttoned up with the cam gears on the end and to a good stopping point. I still need some bolts for the chain guides before moving on to the next phase, which would more or less be mounting the head back on the block. So this is where I stopped

Forgot to post this one up, but in the bundle with the timing chain kit and what not, I also picked up a new radiator fan when they were onsale.

Oh, and picked up a powerwasher and cleaned the engine bay before the frost came. Some areas need a better cleaning but it's a good start.
Last edited by AKS4 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'01.5 Audi S4
'92 Corrado SLC
AKS4

Topic author

Postby Crash » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:46 pm

Nice... thanks for the update Ben.
Crash

: HNIC

Postby b00nz » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:17 pm

Hey when it comes around time to do my vr6 swap. do you want to help me out? :D
1981 vw rabbit caddy. (in the works)
b00nz

: Hookah dood

Postby AKS4 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:20 pm

So since this weekends weather was somewhat shitty, and the roads were supposedly horribly impassable, I decided to stay home and work on the Corrado again.  

First of course I had to get the block to TDC on Cyl 1. Then placed the head on the block, timed for TDC, as you can see with the timing guide tool.

Then of course came installing the chains and chain guides, and made sure the block was still on it's timing mark.

Then came gasketing and installing the timing chain covers.

At this time I decided to leave the Valve cover off while installing the Dizzy.

Then of course came the Valve cover with a brand new VCG and lower portion of the intake manifold, complete with the Draft 42 design air pump delete. (Corrado didnt have it, yet the donor head did)

Completed engine for the night. After installation of crack pipe, T-stat housing, Alternator, PS Pump and AC pump, complete with removing and installing the Corrado's PS pump bracket. Apparently the single bracket majobby doesnt play nice with the early PS Pumps??  I dunno..  Oh, also installed the Draft 42 design's oil sensor T to run the Oil temp & Oil pressure sensors for the VDO gauges, along with the standard sensors.
'01.5 Audi S4
'92 Corrado SLC
AKS4

Topic author

Postby AKS4 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:22 pm

b00nz wrote:Hey when it comes around time to do my vr6 swap. do you want to help me out? :D

Sure, I could probably help out, as would many AKEuro guys be willing ot show up and BS/help.
'01.5 Audi S4
'92 Corrado SLC
AKS4

Topic author

Postby CrashingTiger » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:40 pm

AKS4 wrote:After installation of crack pipe

Coming along nice, but wtf is that? haha.
CrashingTiger

Postby AKS4 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:18 pm

CrashingTiger wrote:
AKS4 wrote:After installation of crack pipe

Coming along nice, but wtf is that? haha.

Hahaha, well... it's the pipe, that uh, has crack?? LOL..

In all seriousness, it is what they call the coolant piped between that goes between the block and the T-stat housing.
'01.5 Audi S4
'92 Corrado SLC
AKS4

Topic author

Postby AKS4 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:43 pm

Welp, since it was so bloody cold today, I decided to work a little on the Corrado. Installed the Flywheel, clutch & Pressure plate. Fuel Rail, Fuel injectors, oil dipstick, oil filter, replaced the bolts for the T-stat housing and the PS pulley. Also attempted to scrounge the lighter crank pulley from my old engine, however the bolt, after much force, penetrating oil, impacting on the wrench, etc... was not budging. Found online it is scheduled a 100NM bolt, however many tend to torque to 200NM, so yeah... oh well. Anyway, onto pics for the day.

After all of that fussing around, I finally got to the point I could begin installing some of the engine mounted wiring harness, connected everything I was able to.

Ended the day with installing the Intake manifold, throttle body and exhaust manifold gaskets.

Getting closer. Although found some parts in bags I labeled for Intake Manifold, no idea where they go tho, and bentley isn't showing them.  Dammit. (look like some bracket for holding something off of/onto the intake manifold)
'01.5 Audi S4
'92 Corrado SLC
AKS4

Topic author

Postby Pgaks2 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:35 pm

Woohoo good to see some progress, can't wait til it's done.
Pgaks2

Postby AKS4 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:20 pm

Yeah, I can't either. Actually, nor can Shelly.. She is really wanting to drive it.

BTW, should come out some weekend and help, or supervise. Haha.
'01.5 Audi S4
'92 Corrado SLC
AKS4

Topic author

Postby insane_one » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:17 pm

so odd euors are, keep up the good work!
insane_one

: JDM Moderator

Postby MetaEnder » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:21 am

That's awesome that you got your hands on a Corrado! I like 'em. My buddy used to have one, it's still driving around Juneau, but it's definitely not in very good shape anymore :(
MetaEnder

Postby Turbo » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:55 pm

That thing is sexy
2001 Silverado 6.0T
Turbo

Postby AKS4 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:36 pm

Yes, Yes she is.. ;)

In her glory at Tanacross.
Hopefully again Soon.... Very soon.
'01.5 Audi S4
'92 Corrado SLC
AKS4

Topic author

Postby AKS4 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:37 pm

So I made some progress this weekend on the build (or rebuild).

Bought some "Gunk" and cleaned up the engine bay a bit better than it had been, got some much needed o-rings and re-installed the Power Steering hose, then installed the front subrame brace.

I then diverted my attention back to the motor. I finished installing some smaller ancillary pieces, put the serpentine belt on then used the engine hoist to help mount up the tranny.

Got the engine and tranny assembly up on the hoist and installed the last motor mount, then slid her into place.

And where I finished this evening. Motor and transmission installed and bolted in, linkages hooked up and began reconnecting some of the wiring harness.
'01.5 Audi S4
'92 Corrado SLC
AKS4

Topic author

Postby CrashingTiger » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:40 pm

Yummy! That is looking good!
CrashingTiger

Postby AKS4 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:04 pm

I made a bit more progress on the Corrado this weekend. PROBABLY would've gotten a bit further but kind of forgot to install the header... umm, OOPS!!  So that took half a day un-installing crap, installing header and re-installing stuff.

Anyway, it's beginning to look like it could run eh?  

Kind of paused at the moment as I need to order up some Vacuum lines, and I seemed to have misplaced THIS: http://vwparts.aircooled.net/VDO-150psi ... m?CartID=1

Coming together though. :)

Will need to tackle bleeding the clutch though... :(
'01.5 Audi S4
'92 Corrado SLC
AKS4

Topic author

Postby AKS4 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:51 pm

Whelp... This weekend I had a friend come over to help bleed the clutch system on the Corrado. We got majority of the air out of the system, although every so often got some air... weird. Spent about 2 hours doing both master and slave cylinders and got the clutch engaging "decently" I guess.

Also received the lost Oil Pressure Sender/sensor unit I need to run the oil pressure gauge. Plus an elbow and some other bits, which allowed me to tidy up a I also installed the new TT ECU chip with the cams programmed in.

SOOOOOO CLOSE now.

As she is sitting now. Waiting on hopefully the last shipment of needed parts to make her go "vroom".  (the Spark plugs, vacuum lines and something else from my buddy at ECS )

Perhaps need to host a "get it started" party next weekend?
'01.5 Audi S4
'92 Corrado SLC
AKS4

Topic author

Postby AKS4 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:40 pm

Got all the fluids topped off, made sure no leaks, battery charged, ECU plugged in with new chip, and after some priming of the engine..
BAM!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPFwGoDP ... e=youtu.be
THE CORRADO LIVES!!

I am a little bit concerned about the ticking noise, however after researching on VWVortex, it appears the ticking might be "normal" after a rebuild if you do not "bleed" the lifters by filling with oil. I.E., the ticking should go away after ~10 minutes or so of running.
'01.5 Audi S4
'92 Corrado SLC
AKS4

Topic author

Postby AKS4 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:42 pm

So, per further investigation from the Vortex, comments both from Lee, Garth and others, I decided to start her up and let her idle for a few minutes while watching oil pressure and listening for any signs of Oh Shitness.
Here is a video of the car after ~10 minutes of idling (i.e. warming up)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAZ7CxkNIDw

So anyway, After letting it warm up and the oil pressure remaining steady, decided to shut her down, take her off the wheel skates and then take her around the block a few times.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba4FCyxafMo

As Shelly says.. WOOHOO!!

I did get back and noticed a small ... VERY small issue. Apparently the tee I have on top of the oil filter housing, so I can have my myriad of sensors, appears to be seeping. Not horrible but... it's a leak. I'll tackle that another night though.  BUT... got ~10 miles on her so far, sounds good aside form the power steering pump/pulley.
'01.5 Audi S4
'92 Corrado SLC
AKS4

Topic author

Postby AKS4 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:48 am

Well, she did fairly well around Tanacross.
http://youtu.be/NMlLM__pGAs

Except that her oil temps were thru the roof. Averaging ~255-260 after only a hard run. I never checked the donor pile oil cooler, so figure that is a part of the problem. So instead of messing around with buying a new version of the sandwich cooler, I opted for an external job.
A EuroSport external Oil Cooler specifi to the Corrado VR6.
'01.5 Audi S4
'92 Corrado SLC
AKS4

Topic author

Postby AKS4 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:07 pm

Well, it's been a year since the last post on this thread, and a little over since she fired up. She is still doing well. I think I finally solved the over-heating issue. I ordered up a new secondary/auxillary water pump and installed it, and since then the coolant temps and likewise the oil temps have been more normal. I also removed the hella clogged AC condenser from in front of the radiator as I don't need AC anymore.

I still have a bit of an oil burning issue which I am mostly confident is a bum valve guide seal, as it's only from one cylinder on the exhaust port side. It is as of yet not bad enough to warrant tearing into the engine to confirm that and/or replace the part. Although I do have the parts for it.
'01.5 Audi S4
'92 Corrado SLC
AKS4

Topic author

Return to Builds